Monday, June 23, 2014

IS TRANCE MUSIC A DRUG?







           
                  TRANCE is one of the most popular form of electronic dance music which focuses more in the melodies and breakdown of its own musical structure. Many successful DJs right now also established their own honorable status through supporting this genre and I can also proudly say that the Trance fans are the most vocal and down to earth which makes us different if not better than the fans of other styles (peace). Though most people tend to think that the Trance scene is always associated with drugs and all that stuffs but we really can’t deny the truth since it has always been a part of the whole rave culture all along.

                  So I was not really that sure making this as a real subject matter before, but it’s really cool when thinking this back then because it may also give some thought process for the scene. Good artists/DJs always try to get as much unique inspiration or ideas and show that music really has no boundaries when it comes to production. So I listed down 10 awesome Trance/Progressive tracks that are synonymous with their drug description, substance induced reaction, unexplainable sensation, “drug-for-thought” and also the reasons as to why I selected these tracks. When uploading a video I always have some problems and for that I just put some link in each track. So starting at #1...







1. Sebastian Krieg - Get You High



                       
                        

             Well the first in the list is a deep progressive track that will get your inner soul really high! The first time I heard this it was on Markus Schulz’s radio show live - Global DJ Broadcast. The moment it was played on the late part of the 2 hr set, I was completely blown away with its really cool chill sounds. I also think this track is really perfect for afterhours or maybe even for the warm-up vibes. No video in Youtube that I also want to share with but the link from above should at least be enough though.







2. ATB - Ecstasy




                
                        

              This is one of my all time favorite classic tracks ever from the legendary ATB. I mean look at that, the name of the track says it all! But anyway though, the original track was released in 2004 and the vocals provided by Tiff Lacey. The track is so much popular that until now it’s still rocking the clubs and rave scene for this generation. The moment I hear this Trance Anthem again, it really brings back some memories from the good’ol days.

Ecstasy - an illegal drug used as a stimulant and relaxer of inhibitions and also a common substance use for rave events.







3. Empirion - Narcotic Influence (John Askew remix)





                       

             “Wanna ASK YOU, why is ASKEW so good?” The guy really deserves some credit and a thumbs up for keeping it real all throughout his career, definitely a legend in his own right. The original track was released way back in 1997 and John Askew made an outstanding remix out of it around last year. I also listened to both the original mix and the remix version, so it was a close call actually but I finally voted for Mr. Askew. The tech-trance remix is so good that you need drugs to take your own life away, - just kidding.

Narcotics - a typically addictive drug, especially one derived from opium that may produce effects ranging from pain relief and to stupor, coma and, convulsions.







4. Infected Mushroom - IM Supervisor (Sektor V Rework)



                       
                        

           Well honestly, I’m not a follower of the group Infected Mushroom but I know these guys are really great and are also legends in the Trance scene specifically “psytrance”. As many of the singles these guys have, I went with this track because I first heard it in the 24 hr. Mental Asylum takeover on ah.fm by one the tracks that caught my ears and was played by Indecent Noise in his set. The psychedelic name of the artists exactly has commonalities with the familiar thing called “shrooms”, so that’s why I selected them in my list for the benefit of having some famous psytrance artists represented and also a great job by Sektor V’s rework.

Shrooms - a mushroom, especially one with hallucinogenic properties.







5. Thrillseekers - Synaesthesia





                        

           Here goes another one of the classic Trance that is pretty much timeless quality and really a great beauty that would be described just by listening to this track. It was released in 1999 and most Trance DJs play this in order of having some nostalgic vibes in their sets. Steve Helstrip aka Thrillseekers really did a great job with his usual trademark that most fans truly appreciate the sound. The title of this track also has some meaning when it comes to the “sensation feeling” by most users in raves.

Synaesthesia - a hallucinogenic effect experience by the users while taking drugs                                     






6. Dave 202 - 120 milligram




                        
             I was already running out of ideas at this part though so I just search and search for more just to discover one. Luckily one of the suggestions on the forums I read caught my eye because the track’s name certainly fits in this type of my own personal compilation. Some of the members of that forum were also convinced that the title could be some sort of drug-related inspiration. This record can also be found in one of the tracks in Dave202 CD mix compilation called Destination released in 2003.







7. Hallucinogen - LSD





                        

             This is one of the gems I found while searching for much deeper stuff. This was released in 1995 by Simon Posford with one of the tracks in his studio album - Twisted. If you like some oldschool Goa Trance then this is something uniquely similar for the title and artist himself. Most underground lovers I guess would probably like this type of music when they are having a good time and also Goa parties are somehow different as to the common type of trance events we know. Just picture out the hippies of the 70’s or 80’s raving to this type of music so you can get an idea as to what Goa parties looks like.

LSD - stands for its chemical name, lysergic acid diethylamide, and is commonly called “acid”. It’s a powerful hallucinogenic drug – this means that users are likely to experience a distorted view of objects and reality, including seeing and sometimes hearing things that aren’t there (these are hallucinations).








8. Angry Man - Mescaline





                        
             One of my top bets for the future stars in the Trance scene, funny thing is that his identity is still questionable as to what I’ve known and this guy also has a great talent. I really like the track because this is the type of trance (138/140) that I’m leaning into. I wish more producers will make tracks like this and trance fans should also try to support or appreciate this type of sounds.

mescaline -  is used primarily as a recreational drug and is also used to supplement various types of meditation and psychedelic therapy.







9. Kai Tracid - Trance and Acid





                       
             I just have to include this track even without any reference to the topic. Kai Tracid’s most well known productions have the combination of trance and acid. This was released in 2002 in his 2nd artist album with also the same name. The sound really gives you a throwback into a time where the “acid synth” was a popular element when producing trance before. This track really gives you a kick with the power of acid!  









10. Sander van Doorn presents Purple Haze - Hymn 2.0





                        
             Last but not the least is a track that really gives me a happy mood as always. I don’t really much care if some trance DJ wants to change his style for some reason, anyway SVD’s decision likewise backfired by some of his older fans. This track really has an influence in classical music that makes a signature of an epic trance song. Well at first I smell something fishy at the term Purple Haze and so I got curious then search the meaning behind it, well my sixth sense really kind of worked after all.

* Purple Haze - is a strain of cannabis developed by the Dutch seed breeders known for its purple colors








               Though I always considered myself as a “chair raver” most of the time because I’m the type of guy that a day wouldn’t be complete without listening to trance music. If also I have a chance going to any rave events again, I can surely say that drugs are not necessary for me to enhance my enjoyment because I’m all there for the music. Trance music if you ask me is already a drug in itself because it puts you into a psychedelic or euphoric state that most listeners experienced. I know trance music doesn’t suits the taste of most common ravers because they’re just probably spoon-fed by the mainstream.

               Trance music for me is very addictive and likewise better than doing any bad stuff that might risk our lives. But it’s anyone’s choice after all, but doing little things like this can change the mindset of most fans of dance music. A ‘real trance fan’ for me doesn’t do any drugs to enjoy rave events, and for that I salute guys by sobering up the whole night. 
  
               Lastly I want to ask some the readers to share any tracks they know that have common drug-related names or any DJs/Producers that have similarities to what I listed down. Any type of genre like (HOUSE, TECHNO, PROGRESSIVE, HARD DANCE or even EDM MAINSTREAM) will do. Tracks that you guys are addicted listening to and makes you feel good will also be appreciated to share here.





THANK YOU !

                        




               




No comments:

Post a Comment